Things You’ll Need:
– 1 or 2 8” baking pans, cooking spray, icing bag or kit, potato masher, 2 boxes jiffy corn muffin mix, 1/2 a bag of large Yukon gold potatoes (about 6-7 potatoes depending on size), lots of butter, a dollop of milk or cream, seasonings, 1 large order of KFC mac n cheese, 1 large order of KFC gravy, and as much KFC chicken as desired.
1. Bake cornbread layers. 1 box of jiffy per layer and follow directions on the box! Don’t forget to oil the baking pans before pouring.
2. While cornbread is baking – Peel, chop, and boil potatoes. Mash until smooth. Add LOTS of butter, a dollop of milk or cream, your seasonings (garlic, salt, pepper, etc.), then mix.
3. Let layers cool and once they’re cooled down, spread entire order of mac n cheese in between and let sit.
4. Spread smooth potatoes onto the cornbread layers.
5. Drizzle gravy on top.
6. Optional if piping potatoes – Cut a rivet around the top border of the cake for the piping to sit in so that it doesn’t slide off the edge.
7. Put desired amount of chicken on top and drizzle a little bit more gravy with a spoon.
8. Enjoy your savory creation! Happy Birthday, Kentucky!
9. Add a little more gravy.
Cake by Lucie Chandler. Photo by The Hern.